Saturday, October 12, 2013

What's Happening?

“What’s happening?” 
I remember my two-year old grandson in his mother’s lap sick with a high fever and in pain. With eyes red and face wet with tears he cried out to his mom and me, “What’s happening, what’s happening?” The anguish in his little face and voice was heart-wrenching.  Overwhelmed with compassion for the child I laid my hand on his head and prayed for him. The Lord healed him almost instantly as he lay in his mother’s arms. 
His cry made such an impression on me that I have at times imitated him as I have approached God in moments of grief, pain, or perplexity. If my grandson’s cry so deeply touched my heart, I knew that my cry would also in the same way touch the mercy and compassion of our Lord.  And so, I have on occasion looked up into the face of Jesus and cried like that child, “What’s happening? What’s happening?”  
He does not always let me know what’s happening. But I know He is always there. I take comfort in God’s incomprehensible love for us His children. 

“But Zion said, The Lord has forsaken me, and my Lord has forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yes, they may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have graven you on the palms of my hands.”  Isaiah 49: 15-16.

“His compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul; therefore will I hope in Him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeks Him.”  Lamentations 3:23-26

No comments: