Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Hard Heart

THE HARD HEART
Mr. Clarence was the elderly patriarch of a family who lived not far from my childhood home. His wife was godly woman, but he never attended church or professed to be a Christian (at least not to my knowledge). He ran a small country store in the Longs community, and was famous for “stretching the truth” by telling some unsuspecting customer that a perfectly healthy neighbor had “passed away” that morning or the day before. My grandmother once answered the door to find a sad old gentleman standing there giving his condolences regarding my grandfather’s supposed death. Mr. Clarence had told the gentleman that “old man Tharon Hardee was dead” and buried.
“Mrs.Eva,” he said with a sad look, “I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear about Mr.Tharon’s passing.” About that time my grandfather, alive and well, came to the door to greet the startled gentleman.
Mr Clarence’s favorite target was a particular neighbor living not far from his store. He would often tell folks that Mr Faircloth had died that morning. I stopped by his store one day for a drink and a snack. As I walked in he met me with sad eyes and said, “Son, did you know that old man Faircloth died this morning?” Without a moment’s pause I responded, “What! Again?” Mr. Clarence burst out laughing. He appreciated my quick response, and seemed to like me after that.
Years later when he was an elderly man in his 80s, my mother and I visited him when he was recuperating from a heart attack. “Mr. Clarence,” I asked, “when you had your heart attack, did you call the preacher to come pray for you?”
“Hell, no!” he replied emphatically and without hesitation, “I thought I was dying. I called the doctor!”
As far as I know, he maintained that disposition right up until the day no doctor could save him.
The human heart can harden to the point that it is “cold” and seared. This is a sad state. One man, when asked if he wanted to give his life to Jesus, responded that all his family was in hell and that he “just as well go be with them” there. He was sincere in his callousness. He seemed to have no fear or concern regarding eternity and his place in it. I should also mention that this man was one of Mr Clarence's sons.
But we must all stand before God to give account. It is appointed unto man once to die, and after death the judgment. I pray that everyone reading this post will have given his or her life to Jesus Christ, and will begin this new year with a heart soft before the Lord and filled with the peace of God.
“For God so loved the world that HE gave His only begotten Son so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16

No comments: